Miami Design Preservation League’s Art Deco Weekend
Jan. 18-20, 2019
Miami, Florida insiders who appreciate the arts wouldn’t think of missing Art Deco Weekend, an annual festival known throughout the art world. During the three-day festivities, the Miami Design Preservation League expects to host more than 150,000 people. Around 85 special events are planned.
Entry to the festival is free, so book a room, grab your date and head for Ocean Drive in South Beach.
The Perfect South Beach Hotel
If you like being in the center of the action, not just any Miami Beach hotel will do. You’ll need an Ocean Drive hotel, and you can’t beat the Beacon South Beach for convenience, service, and amenities.
Not only that but this authentic art deco hotel will help you get into the spirit of the ’20s and ’30s like no other South Beach hotel. From the spacious lobby to your luxurious room at the Beacon South Beach, you’ll immerse yourself in Jazz Age elegance.
Popular Festival Events
Whether you’re into 1920s architecture, vintage clothing, classic cars or “The Great Gatsby,” the preservation league has you covered:
• Channel your inner flapper at the Jazz Age Lawn Party. If you don’t know how to dance the Charleston, you will by the time the band stops playing.
• Put on your comfy shoes and take a guided walking tour. Popular walking events include Cocktails With a Twist and Miami’s Underworld. Staying at a Miami Beach hotel and touring the historic district will certify you as an expert in all things deco.
• Bop nonstop. Lummus Park features live music and cocktails under the palms all day and night. Jazz, big band, ‘50s-‘70s rock and even classical music offer something for everyone.
• If you’re into dogs, fashion or both, stake out a spot on the steps of the welcome center. The Bark Deco Dog Show and Retro Fashion Show are must-see events.
• The street fair buzzes with activity just minutes from your Ocean Drive hotel. Food vendors, musicians, jugglers, live theater and other attractions guarantee a great time.
• Shops along the beach promenade offer exquisite vintage antiques and fine art.
• Brush up on your history by attending the highly regarded Miami Design Preservation League Lecture Series.
• If you’re trying to wean your children off video games, an afternoon at the Kids’ Club might do the trick. Live theater, learning games and cultural activities sponsored by Miami’s leading educational institutions will keep them engaged until you’re ready to unwind at your oceanfront hotel.
About the Miami Design Preservation League
The league has done an exceptional job of preserving the historic, neon-lit buildings that line the world-famous Ocean Drive. Since the drive is closed to motor vehicles throughout the festival, you may take to the streets and the beach and fully soak up the atmosphere of the period. The Beacon, an oceanfront hotel, is one of the best examples of the distinctive deco style.
Thanks to league members, the historic district, which boasts the densest concentration of deco architecture in the U.S., is on the National Register of Historic Places. Their tireless efforts to restore the classic buildings and save them from demolition were instrumental in the resurgence of South Beach as a resort destination.
Planning Your Weekend
There is no entry fee for the festival. However, some events require tickets, and admission is limited. The friendly staff at the Beacon can direct you to information about purchasing tickets for scheduled events.
The Beacon’s prime location in the very heart of South Beach will give you easy access to the best shopping, restaurants, music venues, and local attractions. For the upcoming festival and future getaways to Miami Beach, there’s no better place to call home.